Tuesday, February 8, 2011

bail to bali

the minute i got off the plane in denpasar, a warm feeling registered deep within my bones. i couldn't quite explain it, quite frankly was confused by the instant comfort. i had never been to bali before, wasn't familiar with my current surroundings, had done little research with regards to the culture and the people. but it didn't matter, something just felt right.

it was around 8:45 in the evening, and of course i had no where to go. i allowed myself, for just one second, to wondered why i did this. but i knew quite well that my over analysis of everyday life, forced me to question the paths i had set in motion back home, causing a minor quarter-life crisis. therefore encouraging me to bail, leaving my vast array of everyday securities by the waste side.

my neurotic, methodical nature had landed me in this very predicament…stranded in indonesia. hah - i had to laugh at myself. constant contradictions run my life.

my lack of preparation had left me without a pillow or a roof, leaving me but with one choice, think fast shan! i had met an auzzie by the name of alex on the plane, so i asked her if i could tag along and share a taxi to the nearest town to see if i could find some lodging. on the way we stopped to grab a bite to eat. i ordered my favorite, pumpkin soup and a side of bread. my slight obsession with pumpkin has come to full term while i've been abroad.  since it's rare and seasonal in the states, i have indulged in more than my fair share of pumpkin dishes since i've been gone. throughout this part of the world pumpkin has found its way onto a million different dishes, including pizza, pasta, pastries, and salads!  to my sincere surprise, my bill for a pumpkin soup, a side of garlic toast and a large bottle of water was $3.50. The same dish in oz would ring me at least $25 dollars.

i was immediately pleased with my impromptu decision to visit the "island of the gods."

xoxo – ShannonSmile

No comments:

Post a Comment